Celebrating the Life of Del Martin
Legendary lesbian civil rights pioneer Del Martin passed away in 2008. To honor her incomparable contributions, San Francisco celebrated her life with a moving civic celebration in its City Hall grand rotunda. Phyllis Lyon, her partner for over 50 years, was, of course, in attendance, along with a who’s who of city’s pioneering community of LGBT rights’ advocates.
Highlighting the festivities were Mayor Gavin Newsom, Ambassador James Hormel, National Center for Lesbian Rights executive director Kate Kendell, and performers Holly Near, Linda Tillery, and Margie Adam. Del’s daughter, Kendra Mon, shared some intimate memories, including tales of Del simulating the JFK-Nixon debates and the story of how a cat saved her moms’ romance. We are happy to be able to share this extraordinary gathering, which honored the life of the mother of our movement.
Celebrating the Life of Del Martin is available on the new re-released, One Wedding and a Revolution DVD.
Home Users: Place your order here.
Institutional Users: Place your order here.
New re-released 2012 DVD includes:
- One Wedding and a Revolution (running time 20 minutes)
- Celebrating the Life of Del Martin (running time 58 minutes)
- Del and Phyllis’ SECOND wedding ceremony, in 2008, after California legalized same-sex marriage
- Interview with the director
- Interactive timeline of Del Martin’s activism and life
- Closed Captioning